Convertible Top - Bright White or Oxford White?

2»

Comments

• Great looking car--- the wheels really set it apart-

What color is your pinstripe? It is hard to tell from the picture if it is white or grey?

Thanks! I actually bought it that way but luckily I also got the original pony rims. The white R's are available on Ebay and that is where the previous owner purchased them from if you are interested. The car was also lowered so it gives it that hunkered down look. I like the way it sits so I am pretty happy with it.

The pinstripe is white. I originally was thinking of removing it but thought after 16 years the paint underneath could be darker. The more I look at it the more I like it. At the Carlisle show last year I noticed a few 92's with the white stripe. I dont know if it was factory or dealer installed.

There were 3 out of 7 92's with the stripe:

4948122591080bgdl0.jpg
  • The pinstripes look really good on the 92's--

I have not seen much discussion on the topic of pinstripes. Agree they were all over the board on what types of stripes the feature cars came with. Since there was not an option listed, I am guessing they were a dealer add. I have seen both painted & vinyl stripes. Some cars that came with a "limited edition" logo with the pinstripe on the top side of the rear quarter.

Interesting topic-- thinking back I remember seeing LX's & GT's (85-90's) with a painted pinstripe. Not sure if a these were added at the dealer or at the end of the assembly line??? Most of them were extremely consistent in appearance.
  • My 86 came with painted on pinstripes, I saw it getting unloaded off of the car hauler.

My Feature has tape, I am pretty sure it was dealer installed. I have seen some very low mileage ones and noticed they did not have the pinstripes. I have decided I like my Yellow with out them so they are coming off when I get brave enough to start peeling them off. :D

Later, Jerry
  • In 1989 I ordered a 1989 Mustang LX (bright regatta blue). It came from the factory with painted (gray) stripes.

My 1993 has no stripes, but a previous owner put red tape striping in the body side moldings. After I purchased the car I found out that this was not as it was manufactured and I decided to remove the stripe. It took allot of effort to get all of the adhesive off the molding without damaging the paint. It looks much better without the stripe (my opinion).

Good luck with what ever you decide to do with your stripe.

Kevin
  • The pinstripe is white. I originally was thinking of removing it but thought after 16 years the paint underneath could be darker. The more I look at it the more I like it. At the Carlisle show last year I noticed a few 92's with the white stripe. I don't know if it was factory or dealer installed.
    I always meant to research the pin stripe but never did. I purchased new a black '91 LX with a gray pin stripe that I assumed was from the factory.

Specifically, I wondered whether the TAPE code would be present on the door tag of a car with a pin stripe. It is my understanding that TAPE was supposed to indicate "presence and color of a pinstripe."

For those with pin stripes, do you have any TAPE code?

92doortag.jpg
  • I checked the pics I have of my VIN and it does not have anything under "tape". With the car at the shop, I can not confirm if it is tape or paint, but I think it is paint.
  • DONE!!! I just got back from the shop and I could not be happier. :D The top looks great and everything is so nice and quiet inside. I did not realize how much noise the top was letting in!!

Well, to the pictures!!

newtop002av1.jpg

newtop015eo6.jpg
  • Damn, that looks sweet. No wrinkles. I don't know how you are going to bring yourself to fold it ;)
  • Damn, that looks sweet. No wrinkles. I don't know how you are going to bring yourself to fold it ;)

Tell me about it!!! They already warned me that I need to keep it up for a week just to assure it stretched properly. Too bad it is suppose to be in the high 70's the end of the week!

Oh well, I will take one week without top down just to know the top looks and fits amazingly!!! :D:D:D (and to think there was a time I was thinking of doing it myself!!)
  • Did they give you any recommendations about care? Ron, who I have mentioned before as a frequent reader of this site, just reminded me how good the RaggTopp products are. I use them on my top with good results. Wolfstein's products are approved by Haartz.
  • Did they give you any recommendations about care? Ron, who I have mentioned before as a frequent reader of this site, just reminded me how good the RaggTopp products are. I use them on my top with good results. Wolfstein's products are approved by Haartz.

I forgot to ask them. I will call them and ask. They knew their "stuff" there.
  • I checked the pics I have of my VIN and it does not have anything under "tape". With the car at the shop, I can not confirm if it is tape or paint, but I think it is paint.

First, they did a great job on your top. It really looks good.

Next, No tape code on mine either. I am going to be looking at a lot of door stickers from now on until I find one with a tape code. :D

Take care, Jerry

First, they did a great job on your top. It really looks good.

Next, No tape code on mine either. I am going to be looking at a lot of door stickers from now on until I find one with a tape code. :D

Take care, Jerry

I checked mine now that the car is back and it is tape. I guess it was from the dealer.
  • Next, No tape code on mine either. I am going to be looking at a lot of door stickers from now on until I find one with a tape code. :D

I checked my Fox-body Mustang Recognition Guide and it includes TAPE in the decoding section but shows only "Indicates he presence and color of a pinstripe on the vehicle (color information currently unavailable)" for most years. It is totally missing for 1992 and for 1993 it has:

1 - Black
    2 - Medium blue
    3 - Medium red
    4 - Light charcoal

So, I am losing faith in this as being meaningful.
  • Back to the subject of tops...cobra2top this question is again for you and its another question I am getting from Ron. What vendor's top did you end up with and also did they use the original pads or not. His feedback is that your top looks great.
  • Back to the subject of tops...cobra2top this question is again for you and its another question I am getting from Ron. What vendor's top did you end up with and also did they use the original pads or not. His feedback is that your top looks great.

The top is Electron and the installer was able to show me that my pads were still in great shape. He put the top partially down and was able to show me that the pads were still looking new. I agreed and told him not to order new pads. I did need to get new cables and that was my fault. With the passenger side "thrashed" I put the top down a few months back and heard a nasty snap. Sure enough, the cable got caught around the frame. If it did not snap, it would not needed to be replaced because they also looked good. I guess the top has not been down much over the years.

The installer was a local guy that came highly recommended on some of the other mustang sites and oddly enough my next door neighbor. The day I took my car in for a quote I talked to my neighbor and he just picked his Mercedes up for a arm rest fix and said what a great group they are. They did a nice job on his fix. They are Moorestown Auto and Boat Upholstery in South Jersey. They are only a few minutes from the PA bridges to Philly. http://www.moorestownupholstery.com/ The owner is Sam and he has been doing this work for 25 years. He has a couple albums in his office and he takes a picture of each car. He had many pictures of Fox verts so the guy knows his stuff with our cars. I ended up spending a little time with them after picking up my car talking Mustangs. They all agreed that the Fox convertible top is the best one out there. The frames are very strong vs other tops they work on.

My total cost was $1000 to replace the top and rear window and cables. His cost were in the middle of the other installers in my area. I had quotes from $900 - $1300. All were Electron tops and one was Robbins. Sam also uses Robbins but said they are mostly for imports. He said they make a mustang top but highly recommended the Electron. It seems Electron is one of the major mustang top manufacturers and Sam assured me that he has never had their top fail.

Well, as you can tell I am very happy with it. The top is nice and tight with no wrinkles. He did say it went on very well, I guess that is a good thing! Maybe it shows my car is nice and straight after 16 years?!?! I'm going to give it a week and then wash the car to see if there are any leaks. As luck would have it, it rained pretty hard on the day I took it in and white wheels dont look so white after the grime on the roads.

John, why did Ron ask about the pads? Does that have something to do with keeping the wrinkles out?
  • John, why did Ron ask about the pads? Does that have something to do with keeping the wrinkles out?

He had his top replaced last year along with his pads and told me "The new pads are a webbing which doesn't have much thickness compared to the factory pads." So, apparently, he thinks it's best to go with the originals and was probably wondering if there is a better replacement pad than what he got.
  • I am looking to replace my top this year. Has anyone ever used anyone in the metro atlanta, ga area. The forums have been very helpful with what needs to go on. Also has anyone ever done it themselves?
  • I am looking to replace my top this year. Has anyone ever used anyone in the metro atlanta, ga area. The forums have been very helpful with what needs to go on. Also has anyone ever done it themselves?

I was thinking of going down the same road. My Feature is a weekend car and I was thinking of doing it myself over the winter. After alot of research, everything pointed to having it done professionally. There are just too many "skills" one needs to make sure the top sits and looks right.

If you go with a installer, check out alot of forums. I googled "philadelphia, forums, top install" (or something like that) and about 6 forums came up with people talking about tops for their cars. The guy who installed my top was highly recommended on a BMW site. He was also recommeded on a Porsche site and of course a few Mustang sites, so he got my business and he was great (see above post for more info).

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!
  • Thank You. I will give that a shot.
  • So have we confirmed that the correct top for 1992 is Oxford white?