Mustang 50th - Charlotte

edited February 2014 in Feature Events
Is anyone planning on going to the April 2014 Anniversary in Charlotte? It would be great if there was a gathering of Fox Limited Editions there. I am bringing my 1993 triple white fox there.

Perhaps there might be a good spot to gather at the event?

Comments

• We are planning to go but I don't think I am bringing my 93.
  • Now that we are a little closer to April, I was wondering who will be attending the 50th?

I have made plans to go but I won't be bringing the triple white. It's just too far for me to go with the car, but, primarily I am planning to bring the family and the fox convertible is way too small for that.

In reading about the event, I learned that they have a program for clubs/organizations called M.O.R.E.

http://www.mustang50thbirthdaycelebrati ... rogram.pdf

So, I am also wondering if people are interested in taking advantage of it.

Having never been to a birthday event, I don't know if the program is something we should look into. The main thing I see is that parking is outside the speedway but you are allowed to come and go which you cannot do if parked inside. And, given it is indicated on your dash card, you can't alternate between inside and outside day to day.

20 cars minimum are required. I don't know if we can get that many feature cars interested so our group shouldn't be limited to just feature cars. I know members of this site have other cars they might bring (me, included) and we should include them as well if we want a chance at meeting the 20 car limit.

Personally, I think I want to park inside to get that experience. But, if those with experience in attending an event like this think it this a better option let's explore it more.
  • I will be at Charlotte with my 92 and a 93 (yellow/black) from here are registered. We have plans to park with our club and a Texas club .I can check and see if any spaces are left. Will be nice to meet all you all.
  • Chester and I are going and bringing 2 cars but not the 93. We are parking inside at least as of right now. We are open to other plans though. I am taking the 06 since it won a gold award at the Asheville National show. I read on the MCA site that if you have won an award at a National show the past 2 years you will receive an award of excellence at Charlotte since its not a judged show. According to what I am reading it seems the car must be at the event to receive the MCA award of excellence. Everyone who enters a car will get a participation award however.
  • I will be there, but as to what I'll bring, I won't know until after I make a decision in the next couple of months. Lots of things in the cards right now. Not sure where I'll be parking either, but keep me posted!
  • One of the SSPmustang.org members (Bill, who owns a 7up and hosts a stop on our Carlisle cruise every year) is heading the MORE parking for the SSP folks. He dropped me a line asking me to tell any of the Feature folks that if they want to park together, they are more than happy to have you guys join our MORE group. We just barely made 20, so the group will be relatively small (and a strong number of those won't be SSP's). If anyone wants to park in our group, please contact me before the beginning of March with your:

1) Name
    2) Address
    3) Phone Number
    4) E-mail

My contact info is <!-- e --><a href="mailto:joe@showcarcustoms.com">joe@showcarcustoms.com</a><!-- e --> or 207-200-5780.

Thanks!
  • Great information, Joe. Thanks for letting us know.
  • I Just saw in the latest Mustang Times an ad for Daniel Carpenter with information about tours of their facility during the time the 50th is happening. It is one mile from Charlotte Motor Speedway and also mentioned was their low-mileage Fox body Mustang collection. Can't miss this!

http://www.dcmustang.com/images/openhouse.pdf
  • You can see a Yellow and Emerald Green Saleen!
    http://www.mustangweek.com/forums/showt ... #post36270

I will be heading over to browse with some folks from the SSP group. Not sure what day/time we're going, but everyone here is free to come on over at the same time if you want.
  • Wow, that looks like a great collection.
  • I am really looking forward to see it!
  • Sounds like a bunch of fun - I am driving from Chicago with about 12 folks from our Mustang/Ford Club. I would love to meet some other Limited Edition Folks since I am the only one in my club and there are not a bunch in the Chicago area.
  • Cool, we will definitely have to meet up!
  • So are most folks staying around the speedway? I am staying with my club down by the airport. How far is it from the airport area to the speedway?
  • I'm staying at the Fairfield Inn in Kannapolis which looks to be about 15 minutes away. It is north east of the speedway. I would like to be closer but this was available when I booked. According to Google Maps, the airport looks like about 25 minutes away from the speedway. That's still not bad.
  • What are people doing as far as the evening events? Is anyone going to the opening night event or the BBQ? I am still undecided
  • We will be staying at SpringHills Suites in Charlotte. The only thing the we have talked about is going out to the Daniel Carpenter site and will probably take it easy at night only to go out and eat.
  • Is anyone doing the opening night event? Are there other events outside the official events? Is there any planned events for the TWF folks like a cruise night etc.?
  • No plans on my part for the opening night event. For a cruise, how about the official Friday night cruise? Sounds like they are going for a Guinness world record attempt. https://www.mustang50thbirthdaycelebration.com/charlotte/fridaynightcruise.html

Or, if anyone familiar with the area has any recommendations, I'm open to suggestions.
  • edited March 2014
    I will be at the Hilton just down the road next to Chic-fil-a. I'll be doing the cruise and hopefully a Carpenter visit. I'll be in the Sprint Cup Garage at #8 for a lot of the show.
  • I'm thinking about the record breaking cruise! Depending on the weather, according to the "Almanac" --wet and windy so I will wait and see. Putting another 800 ish miles on the 92(round trip) might be cruise enough!
  • Joe, what is the Sprint Cup Garage?
  • Yeah Joe,, Is that something cool you can hook us with! wink-wink
  • All the Sprint Cup Garage is a large vendor building. I will be there for my business, Show Car Customs, and helping out the folks from Classic Creations of Central Florida. They will have a bunch of Mustang parts, gifts and memorabilia. I will have a display and be selling off some gifts and memorabilia as well. Being a vendor there is very, very expensive. Thankfully, they are helping me out big time here! If anyone wants their car restored, they are a great group of people to do it! They also have a 7 up car that they are thinking of selling in the coming months.
  • The vendor area sounds like it will be fun...how many vendors are expected?
  • That's cool. I'll be sure to stop by and say hi.
  • Not sure how many vendors are going to be there. I'm sure there will plenty to see and buy. Everyone should stop by and at least say hi! ;)
  • I am going stop by...sounds like it will be fun....does everyone have reserved parking? I do...it might be nice to try and get a bunch of special editions parked. Y each other
  • Maybe everyone could gather in a line for the parade laps on Sunday? Could get some neat photos of everyone on the track or I'm sure there will be a spot somewhere on the inside where everyone could get together for a quick pic?
  • I love the idea....maybe we can get some special editions for a cruise to a dinner location Thursday.